Sunday, October 14, 2012

Another day, another technology assignment

My oldest daughter is now in the 4th grade and with another year comes another month of technology projects.  This time around she has to create a PowerPoint presentation on entrepreneurship.  Teaching a child to use a computer program can be very tiring and can try on a parents patience.  Which brings me to my problem with technology in our schools today.  I have come to the conclusion that teachers make a big assumption that based on the age of parents with children in the elementary school that we should know all there is to know about technology and that we should be able to teach our children all about it as well.

My knowledge of technology is very limited when it comes down to it.  I am able to turn on a computer and check email, facebook, type a paper in Word.  I am also able to very basics in Excel along with PowerPoint.  I have had to teach myself over the last couple of months how to create a blog, how to use Google Docs, and what the heck Twitter is.  In all honesty I don't see much of a point in most of it.  I don't understand how there is so much assumption that every house has a computer and that every parent is able to help and teach their children how to use said computer.

I feel that teachers need to remember that our generation didn't grow up with computers, in fact, my parents didn't buy our first computer until I was a senior in high school and that was only 15 years ago.  In fact I still know houses in our area that do not own a home computer and who's parents have never been on a computer before.

At the end of the day I just suggest that our education field remembers that overall technology is still fairly new to a lot of our generation and it is trying to get these projects done at home.  

3 comments:

  1. I was also thinking the same thing about students having access to computers at home. I grew up in an area where many families still have dial-up and a lot don't have access to a computer at all outside of school. However, even though some students may not have the opportunity to experience technology in the home, I feel it is important to help them use technology in the classroom as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just making the same statement on another classmates blog. Teachers and school districts have to remember and take into account that not all families have access to internet let alone computers. While technology is an excellent tool, it is not something that all family are able to use. Schools have to give students the opportunity to use technology at school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not alone in your thinking and challenges as both a parent and future educator. Some teachers tend to make assumptions that parents have the means to provide and teach their children programs. I had a similar experience when my daughter's teacher suggested I teach her how to navigate Microsoft Word so it would be easier for her in class - easier for whom really! On the other side I think as future educators in the twenty first century it is important to be well rounded and at a minimum have an understanding on what is out there and available. All the best to you as you continue your journey through this class and continue to navigate the world of technology.

    ReplyDelete